Skip to Main Content

What should I do if I need to claim tax relief?

Tax relief is payable only on eligible contributions made into your NEST retirement pot. We collect the basic rate of tax relief on your behalf from the government every time you or your employer makes an eligible contribution to your retirement pot. The only contributions that are eligible for tax relief are those:

  • paid by you
  • deducted from your pay by your employer or
  • paid in by someone else on your behalf.

The contributions that your employer has to pay for you aren’t eligible for tax relief. To find out more about eligibility for tax relief please see HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

We’ll apply for the basic rate of tax relief as soon as we receive any eligible contributions.

If you pay income tax at the higher rate, you’ll need to speak to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) directly to claim additional tax relief. HMRC will need to know the eligible contributions that are made to your NEST retirement pot each tax year.

To view your contributions for the different tax years click ‘Contributions’ on your NEST home page.

Click ‘Contribution details’.

Select Choose a tax year and then from the drop down, select the tax year you want to check the contributions for.

Once you’ve selected the tax year click ‘List Contributions’. You’ll then see the list of contribution details on your screen.

You’ll need to add up the total of all the entries that have any of the following descriptions in the Contribution type and the amount shown as tax relief in connection to each of those entries:

  • From your salary – The name of your employer
  • Your additional contributions
  • From someone else
  • Employee – The name of your employer.

In the example above, the amount would be £2,300.00 From your salary less the contribution charge of £41.40 which is £2258.60.

If there is more than one page, you’ll need to use the arrows at the bottom of the page to go through and add up the entries from each page.

Once you’ve added up the entries, you’ll need to contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to claim additional tax relief.

We value your feedback

Your feedback is important to us. To help us improve, tell us what you think about our member help centre by taking a short survey.

Take the survey

Was this helpful to you?

Tell us how can we improve this article?

Cancel Submit

Thank you.


Was this helpful to you?

Tell us how can we improve this article?

Cancel Submit

Live Chat

Our live help agents will answer your questions and guide you trough setting up and managing NEST.

Our chat is available from Monday to Sunday from 8.00AM to 8.00PM